24 September 2010

Henrietta "Nettye" O. Graham Dunn


 So, after spending some time the other day finding out all about Barbara Henrietta Clarkson and her family, I thought I’d be done with genealogy for at least a few days. But yesterday after we got the house cleaned up, the older boys were off to school, and the younger boys were down for their naps, I sat down to check my e-mail and I don’t know why, but I just thought I’d take another look at that family.

This time I looked up a different family member who was also named Henrietta. So, my 3rd great grandmother was Frances America Clarkson, and her younger sister was Barbara Henrietta Clarkson, and she went by Henrietta. Frances ended up naming her youngest daughter by her first marriage Henrietta O. Graham, after her sister. Henrietta O. Graham ended up going by Nettye (I have found a few variations of this spelling for “Nettye,” but most documents spell it this way). So, Nettye was the younger sister of my 2nd great grandfather, John George Graham. John named his second daughter (my great grandmother) Nettie Dorothy Graham. So variations of this name were passed down through the generations.

So I just happened to look online yesterday to see what I could find about my second great aunt, Henrietta “Nettye” O. Graham Dunn. Before I started searching yesterday, all I knew about Nettye was a little info from a couple of census records and a few old family notes taken by my Grandpa Carl Spohr’s cousin, Karen Meng. I knew that Nettye was born in St. Louis, Missouri in 1882, that she had married a man named John William Dunn in 1905, John was a doctor (and there was a family story that he had traveled to be a doctor at the diamond mines in the Congo in the 1920s and brought back “extensive ivory and treasures”), Nettye and John had adopted a daughter named Virginia B. who was born about 1920, and they lived in Chestnut, Illinois, and John died in Florida and Nettye died in either Logan or Lincoln, Illinois. So, I started looking to see what else I could find out about the aunt who my great grandmother was named after.

So, I was really excited when the first thing I found was a 1919 passport application for Nettye O. Dunn – and I was very excited to turn to the second page of the application and see a photograph of Nettye when she was 36 years old (the only 2 other photos I’ve seen of her are the family photo that I posted a few days ago, and another photo of her when she was a much older woman). The application explained that Nettye lived in Deiterich, Illinois and wanted a passport to accompany her husband on a trip to “Africa, Belgium Congo States” for 2 years. The application also provided birth information for Nettye and her husband, a physical desription, and the statement of a witness (Nettye’s brother, William T. Graham). It’s pretty cool to find any photo of an ancestor, but in my experience it’s pretty rare to find photos of them in online databases (and not from relatives), unless the ancestor happened to be famous. I also thought that it was pretty cool that she went with her husband to Africa for 2 years – it seems to me that that would have been a pretty adventurous thing to do for a woman from the Midwest in the 1920s.

The next thing I found was a similar passport application for her husband, John William Dunn, from 1919, also with a photograph. And then I found a second application from 1921 that was filed in Congo Belge (the Belgian Congo) by John William Dunn for himself and his wife to have their passports renewed so that they could extend their stay for “7 months or when work is done.” This application also included a photo of both Nettye and John. And the next document I found was a New York ships passenger list in August 1921 showing Nettye and John returning to the United States (never really thought of using passenger lists to find U.S. citizens before).

After that I found a few more records for Nettye and John after their return to the United States. I found a 1942 WWII draft card for 60-year-old John, which stated that his residence was Chestnut, Logan County, Illinois, but was filed in Pinellas, Florida. (I wonder if Nettye and John resided in Illinois, but if they may have traveled to Florida in the wintertime after John retired? I also found them in a 1945 Florida state census, living in Pinallas, Florida. And the last record that I found was a death certificate for John William Dunn, who I learned did not died in Florida as the family notes had indicated, but actually died in a Veteran’s hospital in North Carolina on 23 August 1945. John died of advanced chronic pulmonary tuberculosis. Although he was in a hospital in Asheville, Buncombe, North Carolina, and had been there for a little over a month before he passed away, his death certificate still listed his usual residence as Lincoln, Logan, Illinois – the only reason that I can think of for him being in a North Carolina hospital is that North Carolina is on the route between Illinois and Florida, and it is possible that he was admitted to the hospital during their travels between the two states. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find any documents about their adopted daughter, Virginia.




Ancestry.com, “Passport Applications, January 2, 1906 - March 31, 1925 (M1490), 1919, Roll 0734 - Certificates: 72000-72249, 26 Mar 1919-27 Mar 1919,” images 213-214:

“Page 1 of 2:
72047
Form for Native Citizen
[stamped] Department of States
Mar 27 1919
Washington
United State of America, City of St. Louis, Mo:
I, Nettye O. Dunn, a native and loyal citizen of the United States, hereby apply to the Department of State, at Washington, for a passport accompanied by my husband John William Dunn who was born at Elliotstown, Ill. [sentence about John William Dunn was crossed out]
I solemnly swear that I was born at St. Louis, in the State of Missouri, on or about the 8 day of August, 1882; that my [husband] John W. Dunn was born in Elliotstown, Ill and is now residing at Dieterich, Ill. . . .
That I have resided outside the United States at the following places for the following periods: Never;
That I am domiciled in the United States, my permanent residence being at Dieterich, in the state of Illinois, where I follow the occupation of housewife; that I am about to go abroad temporarily; that I intend to return to the United States within 2 years with the purpose of residing and performing the duties of citizenship therein; and that I desire a passport for use in visiting the countries hereinafter named for the following purpose:
Name of Country: Africa, Belgium Congo States,
Object of Visit: To accompany husband.
Name of Country: via England,
Object of Visit: En route to Belgian Congo.
I intend to leave the United States from the port of New York sailing on board the [blank] on April 10th,, 1919.
My last passport was obtained from: Never.
Oath of Allegiance . . .
[signed] Nettye O Dunn
Sworn before me on this 10th day of March, 1919 [signed].
Fee received Mar 17 1919 Afternoon [stamped]
Husband’s citizenship established. H [note written in margin]
(over)

Page 2 of 2:
Description of Applicant
Age: 36 years
Stature: 5 feet, 4 inches
Forehead: medium
Eyes: brown
Nose: regular
Mouth: medium
Chin: round
Hair: dark brown
Complexion: Fair
Face: Oval
Distinguishing marks: scar on left side of face
Affidavit of Identifying Witness
I, W. T. Graham, solemnly swear that I am a native citizen of the United States; that I reside at St. Louis Mo; that I have known the above Nettye O. Dunn personally for 36 years and know her to be a native citizen of the United States; and that the facts stated in her affidavit are true to the best of my knowledge and belief.
[signed] William T. Graham
Night Supt. National Stamp Enam.
4333 Blair Ave
St. Louis Mo
Sworn to before me this 10 day of March, 1919
[signed] W.W. Uall
Clerk U.S. ___ Ct. St. Louis Mo
Applicant desires passport to be sent to the following address:
Mrs. Nettye O Dunn
90 Passport Agency
2 Rector Street
New York City
M.C.
[photograph of Nettye O. Dunn]”


Ancestry.com, “Passport Applications, January 2, 1906 - March 31, 1925 (M1490) > 1919 > Roll 0735 - Certificates: 72250-72499, 27 Mar 1919-28 Mar 1919,” images 307-308:

“Page 1 of 2:
72327
Form for Native Citizen
[stamped] Department of States
Mar 28 1919
Washington
United State of America, City of St. Louis, Mo:
I, John William Dunn, a native and loyal citizen of the United States, hereby apply to the Department of State, at Washington, for a passport accompanied by my wife Nettye O. Dunn who was born at St. Louis, Mo. [sentence about Nettye O. Dunn was crossed out]
I solemnly swear that I was born at Elliotstown, in the State of Illinois, on or about the 19 day of March, 1882; that my father Thomas J. Dunn was born in Kentucky, U.S.A. and is now residing at Dieterich, Ill., R.F.D. . . .
That I have resided outside the United States at the following places for the following periods: Never;
That I am domiciled in the United States, my permanent residence being at Dieterich, in the state of Illinois, where I follow the occupation of physician; that I am about to go abroad temporarily; that I intend to return to the United States within 2 years with the purpose of residing and performing the duties of citizenship therein; and that I desire a passport for use in visiting the countries hereinafter named for the following purpose:
Name of Country: Africa, Belgium Congo States,
Object of Visit: Medical Service
Name of Country: via England,
Object of Visit: En route to Belgian Congo.
I intend to leave the United States from the port of New York sailing on board the [blank] on April 10th,, 1919.
My last passport was obtained from: Never.
Oath of Allegiance . . .
[signed] John William Dunn
Sworn before me on this 10th day of March, 1919 [signed].
Fee received Mar 17 1919 Afternoon [stamped]
(over)

Page 2 of 2:
Description of Applicant
Age: 37 years
Stature: 5 feet, 11 inches
Forehead: medium
Eyes: dark blue
Nose: straight
Mouth: medium
Chin: square
Hair: light brown
Complexion: medium
Face: Oval
Distinguishing marks: none
Affidavit of Identifying Witness
I, W. T. Graham, solemnly swear that I am a native citizen of the United States; that I reside at St. Louis Mo; that I have known the above John William Dunn personally for 15 years and know him to be a native citizen of the United States; and that the facts stated in his affidavit are true to the best of my knowledge and belief.
[signed] William T. Graham
Night Supt. National Enam. +Stamp
4333 Blair Ave
St. Louis Mo
Sworn to before me this 10 day of March, 1919
[signed] W.W. Uall
Clerk U.S. ___ Ct. St. Louis Mo
Applicant desires passport to be sent to the following address:
John W. Dunn
90 Passport Agency
2 Rector Street
New York City
M.C.
[photograph of John William Dunn]”



Ancestry.com, “Passport Applications, January 2, 1906 - March 31, 1925 (M1490) > 1921 > Roll 1462 - Certificates: 129500-129875, 13 Jan 1921-14 Jan 1921,” images 573-574:

“Page 1 of 2:
129772
Department Passport Application
Native
[stamped] Jan – 6 1921
I, John W. Dunn, a native and loyal citizen of the United States, hereby apply to the Department of State, at Washington, for a passport for myself, accompanied by my wife, Nettye Graham, and minor children, as follows: [blank].
I solemnly swear that I was born at Elliotstown, in the State of Ill., on Mch 19, 1882, that my father Thomas J. Dunn was born in Ky. And is now residing at Dieterick, Ill., for the purpose of Physician . . .
That I am the bearer of Passport No 72327, issued by the Dept. of State on Mch 28, 1919; that my legal domicile is in Illinois, my permanent residence being at Dieterich, Ill, and I last left the United States on Apr. 19, 1919, arriving at Matadi, Congo Belge on June 24, 1919. I am now at Tshikafia residing for the purpose of physician, on behalf of: (Name, address, and nationality of firm, corporation, or other organization represented, if any) ‘F’orminiese,’ (Brussels) (Belgian-American).
That I have resided outside the United States at the following places for the following periods:
England (Medical Corps, U.S. Air Service), from Mch. 1918 to Nov. 1918.
Congo Belge, from June 1919 to date;
And that I desire to remain a citizen of the United States and intend to return thereto permanently to reside and perform the duties of citizenship within 7 months or when work is done.
I have not applied elsewhere for a United States passport or for consular registration and been refused. I desire a passport for use in visiting the countries hereinafter named for the following purpose:
Name of Country: Belgium, Object of Visit: en route to U.S.A.
Name of Country: England, Object of Visist: en route to U.S.A.
Oath of Allegiance . . .
[signed] J.W. Dunn
American Conculate at Loauda, Acyola.
Sworn to before me this 4th day of Oct., 1920.
[signed] Reed Paige Clark
Consul of the United States of America
Mail to address on reverse side.

Page 2 of 2:
Description of Applicant
Age: 38 years
Stature: 5 feet, 11 inches
Forehead: medium
Eyes: blue
Nose: large – straight
Mouth: Medium + moustache
Chin: Goatee
Hair: Brown
Complexion: Medium
Face: Oval
Identification
Identified by other Americans at Tshikafa as Dr. John W. Dunn. . . .
[photograph of wife, Nettye Graham Dunn]
Identifying documents submitted as follows: Passport # 72327; Passport # 72047 (wife) of Mch. 16, 1919; Matriculation Pact Bonia, of self + wife; Identity books (But) of self and wife (London).
Send passport to:
Dr. J.W. Dunn
To “Confiria,”
Kinshasa, Congo Belge.
[photograph of John William Dunn]”

Ancestry.com, “New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957,” Lapland, 14 August 1921, Image 9:

“List of United States Citizens (For the Immigration Authorities)
SS Lapland, sailing from Antwerp, 4th August, 1921, Arriving at Port of New York, 14 Aug 1921
Line 2, John Dunn, age 41, male, married, date and place of birth: 19th March 1882 Elliotstown Ills, address in United States: Dieterich Ills.
Line 3, Nettye Dunn, age 40, female, married, date and place of birth: 8th Aug 1882 St. Louis Ills, address in United States: Dieterich Ills.”


Ancestry.com, “U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942”:

“Page 1 of 2:
Serial Number 179,
Name: John William Dunn
Place of Residence: Chestnut, Logan County, Illinois
Mailing address: Same
Age in years: 60,
Date of Birth: March 19, 1882,
Place of Birth: Elliotstown, Effingham County, Illinois
Name and Address of Person who will always know your address: Nettye O. Dunn, Chestnut, Illinois
Employer’s name and address: None
Place of employment or business: None
I affirm that I have verified above answers and that they are true. [signed] John William Dunn

Page 2 of 2:
Registrar’s Report
Description of Registrant
Race: White
Height (approx.): 5’ 10 ½”
Weight (approx.): 145
Eyes: blue
Hair: Gray
Complexion: Fair
[signed by registrar] Virginia C. Poceacey
Registrar for local board: Number3, City: Pinellas, State: Florida
Date of Registration: April 27, 1972
Local Board No. 1
Logan County”

ancestry.com, 1945 Florida State Census, Precinct 63, Pinellas, Florida, image 21, page 21:

“Florida State Population Census, 1945
Name: John W. Dunn, Address: Safety Harbor, In or Out: In, Age: 63, Gender: male, Place of Birth: Ill, Degree of Education: Ceol[?], Occupation: Dr.
Name: Nettye O. Dunn, Address: Safety Harbor, In or Out: In, Age: 62, Gender: female, Place of Birth: Mo., Degree of Education: H.S., Occupation: Housewife.”

Ancestry.com, “North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975”:

“Certificate of Death 15339
Registration Dist. No 11-00, Certificate No 213,
Place of Death:
County: Buncombe,
Township: Asheville,
City or town: (If outside city or town limits, write Rural): Rural,
Street, Hospital or Institution: Veterans Administration,
Length of stay in hospital or institution: 1 mos. 6 days,
In this community: 1 mos. 6 days
Home (Usual residence) of deceased:
State: Ill.,
County: Logan,
City or town: Lincoln,
Street or R.F.D.: 635 4th St.,
Is place of residence in corporate limits? Unknown,
Full Name: Dunn, John William, C-1182 762 – Capt., M.C.
If veteran, name war: World War,
Social security No.: None,
Sex: male,
Race: white,
Single, married, widowed, or divorced: Married,
Name of husband or wife: Netty Dunn,
Age of husband or wife if alive: Unknown,
Birth date of deceased: Mar. 19, 1882,
Age: 63 years, 5 months, 4 days,
Birthplace: Dietrich, Ill.,
Usual occupation: Physician,
Father:
Name: T. J. Dunn,
Birthplace: Ky.,
Mother:
Maiden name: Mary Fields,
Birthplace: Ill.,
Informant’s Signature: Hospital records,
Address: Veterans Administration, Oteen, N.C.,
Removal date: Aug. 23, 1945,
Location: Lincoln, Ill.,
Funeral director: Brownell-Dunn & Lovin,
Address: Asheville, N.C.,
Filed Aug 30 1945, registrar: Lola Y. Perkinson
Medical Certification
Date of death: Aug. 23, 1945 at 5:30 AM.
I certify that death occurred on the date above stated; that I attended deceased from July 17, 1945 to Aug. 23, 1945, and that I last saw him alive on Aug. 23 1945.
Immediate cause of death: Tuberculosis, pulmonary, chronic
Far advanced
Duration: Unknown,
No autopsy held,
Signature: D.E. Quinn, Lt. Col., M.C., Clinical,
Address: Veterans Amd., Oteen, N.C. 8-23-45”

No comments:

Post a Comment