15 January 2021

Family History Interview Videos


My Mom's Side of the Family:


Interview of Frances Olive Dick Monk, May 2002
(My maternal great grandmother).  Interviewed in the home of her daughter, Beverly Monk Spohr, in Lee's Summit, Missouri by her great granddaughter, Stephanie Chidester.





























Interview of Beverly Frances Monk Spohr 2008 -- full interview
(My maternal grandmother).  Interviewed in her home in Lee's Summit, Missouri by her granddaughter Stephanie Chidester Bradshaw





















(A few years ago I took portions of this interview and added photos from Beverly's life, and made a video of it as a gift for my mother.  But I wanted to preserve the complete interview here).  I'll include a copy of the edited interview video with the photos below too:
Interview of Beverly Frances Monk Spohr, 2008
(My maternal grandmother).






















Interview of Beverly Monk Spohr, 2014
(My maternal grandmother).  Interviewed in San Diego, California the home of her daughter, Amy Spohr Chidester.  Interviewed by two of her children, Amy Spohr Chidester & John Spohr.






















Interview of Carl Spohr Jr, May 2002
(My maternal grandfather).  Interviewed in his home in Lee's Summit, Missouri by his granddaughter, Stephanie Chidester.





























Interview of Carl John Spohr Jr
(My maternal grandfather).  [Date unknown].  The numbers referred to in this interview correlate to numbers written on the back of some old family photographs which are now in the possession of Amy Spohr Chidester.






















Interview of Robert Wilson Monk & Frances Olive Dick Monk, 1982
(My maternal great grandparents).  Interviewed by their granddaughter Amy Spohr Chidester, & her husband Steven Chidester.


Carl Spohr & Beverly Monk's college graduation
(My maternal grandparents).  I thought I'd also include this old video recording here too.  My Uncle David found this old film reel of his parents' several years ago and had it digitized.




















My Dad's Side of the Family:

Interview of Faun Moore Chidester, 2009
(My paternal grandmother).  Interviewed in her home in West Valley City, Utah by her granddaughter, Stephanie Chidester Bradshaw.






















Christmas 1982
My first Christmas -- Stephanie Chidester with her parents, Amy & Steven Chidester, and her paternal grandparents, Faun & John Chidester.






















John Leo Chidester funeral slideshow
(My paternal grandfather).
https://youtu.be/7-lHD79FykE






























My Husband's Family:

Lillie Anne Young Bradshaw's funeral slideshow
(My husband's paternal grandmother).
https://youtu.be/b86tAXDMCuo

















I've spent a major amount of time over the last month or two trying to get all our family videos backed up & organized.  (This all started as a way to get everything organized as I've been doing the fun & lengthy project of making family video compilations, which I'm still actively working on now that I've finally gotten them all organized).  But another reason I wanted to get everything organized was to be able to share the videos that I have of family history interviews of my grandparents & great grandparents.  I had a variety of types of files -- a few audio recordings that were recorded on casette tapes years ago by my parents with their parents/grandparents, and others that were video recordings that I had done with my grandparents & one of my great grandmas a few years ago.  There's even one audio recording of Christmas morning in 1982 (my first Christmas), where you can hear my parents and my dad's parents talking on it (this happens to be the only one of these recordings that has my Grandpa John's voice on it, so that's nice to have).  And there's another old audio recording of my parents doing an interview of my mom's maternal grandparents, Mamaw & Bampaw (Bob & Frances Monk) -- unfortunately the audio quality gets really poor at parts of that recording, almost to the point of not being able to make out what was being said.  But I figured it was worth preserving it, even with the poor audio quality, in hopes that we might be able to listen carefully to figure out what they were saying or maybe that there is a way to improve the sound quality in the future to be able to understand it all.  The video recording I did with my my Grandpa Carl was relatively short and was all one one video file, but the ones I did with each of my grandmas and Mamaw (my great grandma) were made up of multiple short video clip files.  So I set out to get them all backed up and to preserve them in a way that could easily be shared with others.  I decided to save them so that the interviews that consisted of several shorter video clips were all saved together as one larger file, and to make video files of all of them (even the ones that were only audio recordings).  So I popped the files into iMovie and added titles.  On the audio recordings I added a handful of photos to each one too.  And I saved those.  So now I have a file for each recording, and they've all been backed up.  I decided to share them on FamilySearch.org, and of course they don't accept video files, but they accept audio files -- I converted them to audio files, then I did some youtube learning for how to adjust the output settings in iTunes in order to save these files at a small enough file size that FamilySearch would allow me to upload them to their website, and I was able to get them all saved as audio files and uploaded to that site.  And I wanted to share them all here too, so I uploaded them to youtube so I could share the video links here on my blog.  (Oh, and I also included the two video files I had of my Grandpa John's and Michael's Grandma Bradshaw's funeral slideshows that I made down below).  Now, the next step is to go back and type up transcripts of what was said in each of these interviews -- I believe I already went back and did that with the video interview of Grandpa Carl, and I know we've started to do it with a couple of the other interviews, but that takes time -- maybe I can get my boys involved with helping type up the transcriptions.


No comments:

Post a Comment